AMP BODY

If You Shoot RAW and Work In Photoshop

If you shoot RAW and work with Photoshop you know how frustrating it can be when you cannot see your images/files when skimming your image folders. Then you have to open Photoshop to see your PSD and RAW files and this takes time and for me time is money. 

Today instead of checking my email and getting hit by a barrage of cyber Monday specials or dime sale guru's trying to sway my attention with their worthless crap I decided to do something productive.

I'm going to play around with Adobe Bridge because I found this great little tip that can save time and I want to share it with you.

1.) For start this exercise go straight into Adobe Bridge

2.) Select your image then PC right-click or Command click Mac

3.) Choose Open in Camera Raw from the contextual menu

This opens you image in Bridge's Camera Raw not Photoshop's Camera Raw. What is really cool you can toggle full screen mode by clicking (F) on the keyboard or the double arrowhead in the box next to the black upward pointing arrow called the shadow clipping warning?

That way you can get a full screen view of your image and see if it is a worthy shot you want to spend some time on. This quick, easy and fast tip is a great way to judge for composition, sharpness and detail.

That being said if the histogram dynamic range is within reason and not all bunched up on either end of the scale you should get a fairly good result with exposure, color and contrast.

As in this image considering it was dull, lifeless and flat as it looked from the start, that's why I love shooting Raw.

Here is the list of the adjustments I made in Camera Raw for this particular daytime image.

Tall Ship Before

Tall Ship After

I made my Camera Raw adjustments. It's best if your browser opens separate tabs then you can click each one and compare the marked improvement.

1.) White Balance - Daylight

2.) Temperature - 5500

3.) Tint +10

4.) Exposure -0.45

5.) Recovery 50

6.) Fill Light 2

7.) Blacks 16

8.) Brightness +51

9.) Contrast +63

10.) Clarity +65

11.) Vibrance +63

12.) Saturation -22

If you were to zero out all the setting above you'll get the lifeless image I had when I first opened the file in Bridge Camera Raw.

Now the image "Pops" is it perfect? Of course not but does it matter no because it's a moment in time that I can look back on and remember what a great day we had in Newport, Rhode Island photographing the Tail Ships. You can see the before and after image on my Facebook fan page.

| |

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Wedding Photography

Photography - My Journey And Some Things I Have Learned

What Does a Professional Photographer Do?